Monday, May 30, 2011

I'm a murderer (of typewriters)

I have a confession to make: I killed a typewriter. Through ignorance and the injudicious application of a screwdriver (plus placing my trust in a close friend who may have overestimated his own skills), my Lettera 32 appears to have been damaged beyond reasonable repair.

There is a jam in the carriage, and I fear that the escapement dog is either snapped or twisted and jammed. I cannot describe how heartbroken I was when I realized that the repair was beyond my ability.

That said, the partially-disassembled carcass of my once-faithful machine is up for grabs. If any of you out there think that you can effect a miraculous repair, or if you need parts, it's yours for the price of shipping.

Best,

-Mike

5 comments:

Richard P said...

My sympathies. I've done similar things and I hate the feeling in the pit of my stomach when it happens.

mpclemens said...

Il signore? This is heartbreaking news, Mike. I hope my dip-n-dunk didn't lead to this.

Cindy Ward said...

Why can't it be replaced? I wish I understood the mechanics of typewriters. Can't pretty much anything be repaired some way or another?

Mike Speegle said...

Mike: No, no not at all. The fault that precipitated this whole mess has been hanging around for years. That, and my own belief that I could fix it myself. Sigh...

Cindy: Oh, it's possible enough that it could be repaired, but it would require replacement of more parts than I would care to endeavor. Better to let someone else have it to resurrect another machine with fewer problems.

I dream lo-tech said...

Thanks for sharing this. Sorry to hear. Your experience is making me think twice about tinkering with a new find. It pays to be on the safer side, I think.